On 1st July 1946 Commanding Officers were appointed in the main centres with the intention of reinstating the Volunteer Reserve Divisions. This began the process of resurrecting the RNZNVR on a peacetime footing.
Headquarters, Joint Forces New Zealand was established at Trentham. Command of all RNZN units passed to the Maritime Component Commander under the overall command of Commander Joint Forces New Zealand (COMJFNZ). Consequently, the operational post of Maritime Commander, that had succeeded the former Commodore Auckland (COMAUCK) and Naval Officer-in-Charge Auckland (NOCA), was abolished.